Choosing the right dog leash for puppy training is extremely important. The leash acts as the critical communication link between you and your pup during this crucial training period. Having the proper leash can make a huge difference in keeping your puppy safe and setting them up for success with manners and obedience training.
There are many factors to consider when selecting a dog leash for your puppy. The leash should be durable yet lightweight, adjustable to accommodate growth, and designed to give you good control without being harsh. The leash type and material are also key considerations, as they impact comfort and functionality.
This comprehensive buying guide covers everything you need to know to choose the ideal dog leash for puppy training. We’ll discuss the key features to look for, review top dog leash recommendations, and provide tips for properly using your new puppy leash. With the right leash choice, you can ensure fewer frustrations, faster training success, and a lifetime of enjoyable walks with your furry friend.
PetSafe Nylon Dog Leash – Durable Dog Leash
The PetSafe Nylon Dog Leash is a great option if you’re looking for a basic, durable dog leash. This leash is made of high-quality nylon that provides strength and flexibility during walks. The metal bolt snap securely attaches to your dog’s collar or harness and swivels to prevent tangling.
When you’re walking your dog with the PetSafe leash, you can feel confident in its reliability. The simple yet sturdy design makes this leash a long-lasting training tool and an everyday walking companion.
The metal hardware is durable against rust and rough use. The smooth nylon material is comfortable to hold and easy to clean. Since the leash comes in multiple sizes and colors, you can find the perfect match for your pup.
- Durable nylon construction
- Metal snap swivels to prevent twisting
- Multiple color options
- Good value for the price
- May not be thick enough for very strong large dogs
- Snap may be small for some collars
MayPaw Slip Lead Dog Leash – MayPaw Slip Lead Control Leash
The MayPaw Slip Lead Dog Leash provides excellent control for training your pup or walking dogs who tend to pull. This leash tightens around your dog’s neck when they start to pull, then loosens again once they stop pulling – quickly teaching them not to strain against the lead.
Since the MayPaw slip lead doesn’t require a collar or harness, it’s easy to put on and take off your dog. The adjustable rope design fits securely around your dog’s neck. You’ll appreciate the comfort of the hand loop and durable nylon rope material.
- Tightens when dog pulls then loosens to gently correct
- Fits all neck sizes
- No collar or harness required
- Effective for leash training
- Stylish color options
- Lightweight and portable
- Provides good control of your dog
- May slid down small dogs’ necks
- Not recommended for puppies or dogs who chew
FakeFace Dog Vest Harness – FakeFace Dog Safety Harness
The FakeFace Dog Vest Harness is a great choice for safely walking your pup. This adjustable dog harness distributes pressure across your dog’s chest and shoulders, rather than their neck, for comfortable control.
The vest-style design includes a top handle so you can easily restrain your excited dog. The harness has reflective details to keep your dog visible at night. The padded mesh lining makes this harness breathable and soft against your dog’s coat.
- Padded vest disperses pressure from pulling
- Grab handle on top for quick control
- Reflective details increase night visibility
- More comfortable than a collar for pulling dogs
- Easy to put on and take off
- Available in many size options
- Mesh lining prevents overheating
- Hardware may fail over time with rough dogs
- Straps may loosen as dog loses weight
Hi Kiss Long Dog Leash – Hi Kiss Training Agility Lead
The Hi Kiss Long Dog Leash is the perfect tool for training your dog or giving them outdoor freedom. This leash comes in several lengths, like 20, 30 or 50 feet, providing your dog ample room to explore and play while maintaining your control.
The strong nylon lead won’t get tangled as your dog romps and runs. The metal clip securely attaches to your dog’s collar. You’ll appreciate the padded handle that ensures a comfortable, slip-free grip.
- Durable nylon withstands chewing and rough use
- Multiple length options for training needs
- Padded handle enhances comfort
- Provides dog freedom while maintaining control
- Helps reinforce recall and other training
- Sturdy clasp
- May be too lightweight for very strong pullers
- Clasp may be small for some collar types
Fida Slip Lead Dog Leash – Fida Durable Slip Lead Leash
The Fida Slip Lead Dog Leash is an excellent training tool for stopping your dog from pulling during walks. This slip lead tightens around your dog’s neck when they pull, delivering a gentle correction.
The lead is made from durable nylon rope with handy leather and metal components. Reflective accents help keep your dog visible at night. The leash comes in two sizes – Small and Large – to suit dogs big and small.
- Tightens to discourage pulling then loosens
- Reflective details for visibility
- Two size options for optimal fit
- Provides excellent control over pulling dog
- Adjustable to fit all neck sizes
- Easy to put on and remove
- Well-made with quality materials
- May slid down some small dogs’ necks
- Not recommended for puppies or chewers
TagME Slip Dog Leash
The TagME slip dog leash is a great option if you’re looking for a simple yet effective leash. As a slip lead, it functions both as a collar and leash in one, making it super convenient for quick walks or trips to the vet.
One of the things that stands out about this leash is the comfortable foam padded handle. It gives you a nice grip, even if your dog tends to pull. The rope is made of a soft yet durable nylon material so it won’t dig into your hand.
For safety, the TagME leash has reflective threads woven throughout. This helps keep you and your dog visible during nighttime walks. It’s available in several fun colors to match your dog’s personality.
This leash is adjustable to fit dogs of any size. Putting it on and taking it off is very quick and easy thanks to the slip lead design. It provides control without choking your dog. Overall, this is a great leash for everyday use and its simplicity just works.
- Slip lead design acts as both collar and leash
- Foam padded handle for comfort
- Reflective threads for visibility
- Adjustable to fit all dog sizes
- Simple and convenient
- Comfortable padded grip
- Doesn’t choke dog
- Fun color options
- Not recommended for dogs who chew leashes
JEWOSTER Heavy Duty Dog Leash
The Jewoster heavy duty dog leash is a great choice for strong, energetic dogs. With its dual padded handles, it gives you extra control which is useful for training or keeping your dog close in distracting environments.
This leash stands out for its premium quality construction from durable nylon. It has a very sturdy clasp and can withstand even large, powerful dogs pulling. The padded handles are comfortable with neoprene covering.
For visibility, the leash has reflective stitching running along both sides. The 6 foot length allows your dog freedom to explore while the lower handle lets you reel them in when needed.
An accessory D-ring is included where you can easily attach waste bags or other handy items. This Jewoster leash is built to last through all weather conditions. It’s easy to clean by simply wiping or rinsing off.
If you have an energetic, strong dog then this dual handle leash is a great heavy duty option to consider. The quality craftsmanship means this will be a leash that lasts.
- Dual padded handles for extra control
- Sturdy clasp and premium durable nylon
- Reflective stitching for visibility
- Accessory D-ring for attaching items
- Provides excellent control of energetic dogs
- High quality durable construction
- Padded handles are comfortable
- Easy to clean
- May be prone to chewing by some dogs
BAAPET Basic Dog Leash
For a budget-friendly yet quality basic dog leash, the BAAPET is a top choice. This versatile leash works great for small, medium or large dogs thanks to its adjustable design.
The leash stands out for its comfortable padded handle which is easy to grip. Even if your dog tends to pull, it won’t dig into your hands. It has strong durable nylon rope construction that is built to last.
This BAAPET leash also has reflective threads woven in for walking visibility at night. The smooth rope material won’t get tangled. It comes in several fun colors to match your dog’s personality.
The heavy duty swivel clasp provides a secure attachment while giving your dog good freedom of movement. For the price, you can’t beat the quality and comfort the BAAPET basic dog leash provides.
- Adjustable for all dog sizes
- Padded handle for comfortable grip
- Durable nylon rope construction
- Reflective threads for visibility
- Swivel clasp prevents twisting
- Great quality for a low price
- Soft padded handle
- Doesn’t tangle
- Fun color options
- Not ideal for extremely heavy chewers
TAIDA Training Dog Leash
For training your dog, a long lead like this Taida leash allows them to explore while maintaining control. It comes in a variety of lengths from 15 to 50 feet.
The leash is made of lightweight yet durable nylon. It has a rotating swivel clip to prevent tangling which is a very useful feature for a long lead. The smooth material also helps avoid tangling.
Despite the length, the leash is easy to manage thanks to the lightweight nylon material. It won’t absorb water either which is great for outdoor training.
This Taida leash provides excellentvalue. The simple yet reliable design works great for obedience training, playing at the park, camping trips and more. It takes the hassle out of tangled long leads.
- Variety of long length options
- Lightweight durable nylon construction
- Rotating swivel clip prevents tangling
- Doesn’t absorb water
- Allows dog freedom to explore
- Tangle-free rotating clip
- Lightweight and easy to manage
- Good value for price
- Not ideal for chewing dogs
AMAGOOD Long Training Dog Leash
For training a dog to improve recall or socialization, a long leash like this Amagood allows them to explore while maintaining your control. It comes in lengths ranging from 15 to 50 feet.
This leash features a heavy duty swivel clasp that rotates 360 degrees. This prevents the leash from getting twisted or tangled which is a very helpful when using a long lead.
The adjustable loop design fits any size neck. The leash is made of durable nylon with reflective threads for visibility when walking at night. It also has a padded handle for comfort.
Customers love using this long leash for recall training, playing at the park, camping trips, and introducing puppies to the world in a safe way. It provides control while allowing your dog freedom.
- Length options from 15 to 50 feet
- 360 degree swivel clasp prevents tangling
- Reflective threads for visibility
- Adjustable loop fits all neck sizes
- Allows dog to explore while maintaining control
- Tangle-free rotating clasp is convenient
- Good for training recall and socialization
- Padded handle for comfort
- Not ideal for aggressive chewers
Dog Leash for Puppy Training Buying Guide
When searching for the perfect puppy leash, pay special attention to the following key features and considerations:
The material used to construct the leash impacts durability, weight, comfort and functionality. Nylon and leather are common choices. Nylon is lightweight, weather-resistant and easy to clean. It provides good control and grip. Leather is classy looking, softens over time and can last for years. It’s a bit heavier than nylon. Avoid chain leashes as they are noisy and can be harsh on puppy necks.
An adjustable leash that can extend as your puppy grows is highly recommended. Look for a slider or buckle that allows quick, easy size adjustments over time. This ensures proper fit now and in the future without needing to buy multiple leashes as your puppy matures.
For maximum comfort, seek padding on the handle and where the leash touches your puppy’s neck. Extra padding prevents leash burn and makes walks more enjoyable for you both. Some leashes have neoprene or leather padding for optimal comfort.
Leashes designed for puppies should use tough, chew-resistant materials able to withstand puppy teeth. Reinforced stitching also enhances durability. Avoid leashes that can fray or rip easily.
Ideal leash length for puppies is 4-6 feet. This gives you better control over an excitable pup without yanking or tangling them up. Look for an adjustable leash in this size range. Retractable leashes are not recommended for puppy training.
Single vs Double Attachment
For puppies, a single attachment leash is best to give you maximum control. Double attachment allows pulling, which can reinforce bad leash manners. Graduating to a double attachment leash can come after basic leash training is solid.
Handy options include quick-grab handles for maintaining control, reflective stitching for visibility, and clip covers to protect furniture from leash attachments. An easy-grip, ergonomic handle design provides comfort and security for the human.
It’s important to choose the right leash size for your puppy. Measure from collar to your waist. Add 8-12 inches for small breeds and 12-18 inches for large breeds to get the ideal leash length for training. The leash should not drag on the ground.
By keeping these features in mind while shopping, you’ll be sure to select the perfect leash to make training easier for both you and your pup. The right leash will provide security, prevent pulling, and help reinforce desired leash manners.
Top 5 Dog Leashes for Puppy Training
After extensive research, here are my top 5 recommendations for best dog leash for puppy training:
1. PetSafe Nylon Dog Leash
This adjustable leash comes in a wide variety of color choices and provides excellent control and durability. The lightweight nylon material coupled with a padded, ergonomic handle ensure comfort. It adjusts from 4-6 feet to accommodate growing puppies.
- Nylon is durable and weather-resistant
- Padded handle for comfort
- Easily adjusts between 4-6 feet
- Affordable price point
- May not fit giant breed puppies when fully grown
2. Mighty Paw Training Leash
Designed by dog trainers, this leash is ideal for puppies. It’s constructed with durable mountain climbing rope with extra reinforcement at connection points. The clasp swivels to prevent tangling.
- Strong climbing rope construction
- Reinforced connection points
- Swivel clasp to prevent tangles
- Reflective accents for visibility
- Only adjusts to 6 feet maximum
3. Leatherberg Leather Training Leash
For those desiring a high-quality leather leash, the Leatherberg is a top choice. It’s soft genuine leather with solid brass hardware. The handle is padded for comfort and features a chrome roller buckle adjuster.
- Soft, durable leather
- Solid brass hardware
- Padded handle for comfort
- Easily adjusts 6-10 feet
- Leather requires more maintenance
4. Peteast Reflective Nylon Leash
This adjustable nylon leash stands out for its extra padding and bright reflective stitching. It adjusts from 4-6 feet for excellent puppy control and features O-rings for double attachment. The zinc alloy snap hook is extra secure.
- Bright reflective stitching for visibility
- Zinc alloy snap hook for security
- Extra neck padding prevents burns
- O-rings allow double attachment
- Only available in black
5. Paw Lifestyles Retractable Leash
For those who prefer a retractable leash, the 16 foot Paw Lifestyles is a sturdy option. The durable nylon tape extends to 16 feet yet provides tension control. The plastic casing withstands puppy chewing.
- Durable nylon tape extends up to 16 feet
- Enables freedom while maintaining control
- Plastic casing resists chewing
- May encourage pulling in some puppies
- Not ideal for crowded public areas
No matter which leash you choose, be sure to properly introduce your puppy to wearing a leash and collar slowly. Keep initial training sessions positive, rewarding good leash behavior. With the right introduction and the best leash, you’ll both enjoy training walks for years to come.
Frequently Asked Questions about Dog Leashes for Puppy Training
Here are answers to some common questions about selecting the ideal dog leash for puppy training:
Why can’t I just use my adult dog’s old leash?
It’s best to get a new leash sized appropriately for a puppy for several reasons. A puppy leash should be shorter to give you more control. The materials should be durable to withstand chewing. And it should have padding to prevent leash burns on delicate puppy necks.
Are retractable leashes good for puppy training?
Most trainers do not recommend retractable leashes for puppies as they make it hard to prevent pulling and enforce good leash manners. They provide less control than a standard 4-6 foot leash. Retractables can be risky in crowded areas. They are best reserved for well-trained adult dogs.
When can I start leash training a puppy?
You can begin leash training as early as 8-10 weeks old. Start by letting the pup drag a lightweight leash around to get used to the feel. Have brief, positive training sessions in a safe area. Build up time spent walking on leash gradually as your puppy matures.
Should I get a double attachment leash for more control?
For puppies, a single attachment leash gives you the most control and is easiest to manage. Double attachment can enable pulling. Once your puppy reliably walks without pulling and has mastered basic leash manners, you can try a double attachment for additional control if needed.
How do I get my puppy comfortable wearing a collar and leash?
Make wearing a collar and leash a positive experience with praise and treats. Let your pup get used to the feel of a lightweight leash dragging around first. Have short training sessions of just a few minutes at first as you teach cues like “let’s go” when you begin walking. Build up slowly while keeping it fun!
What length leash is best for house training?
Use a longer 15-20 foot lightweight leash when house training. This gives your puppy freedom to explore the yard while allowing you to quickly intervene and guide them to the right potty spot. The long lead lets you immediately reward successful potty trips outside.
Choosing the right puppy leash sets the stage for leash training success. Look for a well-made leash designed specifically for puppies in your ideal size range. Key features include durability, adjustability, padding for comfort, strong hardware, and materials that withstand chewing. With the proper leash, you can instill good leash manners right from the start and enjoy pleasant walks with your pup for years.
Do your homework selecting a leash well-suited for your unique puppy. Measure your pup and get the right fit. Take it slow with introductions. With positive reinforcement and the best equipment, leash training your new furry friend will be a rewarding experience for all. The effort you put into proper leash manners now will pay off for your puppy’s lifetime.
- American Kennel Club – This website provides tips and tricks for leash training your puppy, including how to get them used to wearing a collar or harness and a leash, and how to reward them for good behavior.
- Top Dog Tips – This website offers a list of 9 resources for leash training dogs, including the AKC, Dog Breed Info Center, and Grisha Stewart.
- Animal Humane Society – This website provides a step-by-step guide for teaching your dog to walk on a loose leash, which can make taking your dog in public places much easier.
- Eukanuba – This website offers a guide to teaching your puppy to walk on a lead, including tips for encouraging your puppy to come to you and walking your puppy around the room on a leash.
- Bond Vet – This website provides a comprehensive guide to leash training your puppy, including how to